Not every buyer has the budget necessary to get a high-end laptop but this doesn’t mean they have to settle for a low-quality product. In fact, with the competition in the laptop market and especially with the arrival of Chromebooks, there are now plenty of options when it comes to choosing a the best laptop under 250.
We have created a short guide to give you all of the tips that you need when navigating the options and we have included some of the best options on the market today.
Here are some of the points that you should think about when it comes to choosing the best laptop under $250.
- Operating Systems. Our list includes both Google Chrome and Windows 10. This really comes down to what you would like to be using the laptop for. For more Internet based use you should opt for a Chromebook, for more traditional use then you should choose Windows.
- RAM. The amount of RAM that your laptop has will directly affect how quickly information is dealt with. The ideal amount is8GB but for basic use 4GB of RAM will be enough.
- Hard Drive. The larger the hard drive the more you will be able to store all in one place. This is not a necessary focus if you already have an external hard drive or if you do not have a lot of files to store.
- Graphics and Resolution. Looking up the latest graphics card is the best way to make sure that your chosen model has the capacity that you need.
- Screen Size and Weight. This is the most important aspect for the portability of the laptop.
Top 7 Laptops Under $250 Comparison
|ASUS Laptop L210 Ultra Thin Laptop||$228.00||Intel Celeron N4020||11.6"||Amazon|
|Acer Chromebook 314||$269.99||Intel Celeron N4000||14"||Amazon|
|SAMSUNG XE310XBA-K02US Chromebook||$194.00||Intel Celeron N4000||11.6"||Amazon|
|2020 Lenovo IdeaPad Laptop||$253.00||AMD Radeon R4||14"||Amazon|
|2020 HP High Performance Chromebook||$221.45||Intel Celeron N4000||14"||Amazon|
|Acer Chromebook Spin 311 Convertible Laptop||$214.99||Intel Celeron N4020||11.6" Touch||Amazon|
|HP Chromebook with 180-Degree Hinge||$222.97||AMD A4-9120||14"||Amazon|
Choose What to Sacrifice for the Perfect Laptop Under $250
When you are trying to decide between the more affordable options of a laptop it really depends on what you are willing to give up.
We have already looked at the different aspects that you should consider when buying a laptop but it is unrealistic to expect all of these when you are looking at a budget of under $250.
You really have to decide which kind of user you are and then you will be able to decide on which laptop to go for. Here is a short guide to various kinds of users:
- Casual. If you are going to be using the laptop to surf the Internet then all you really need is a strong Wi-Fi connection. Focus on RAM for any further tasks that you would like to carry out.
- Mobile. The main focus for the user that wants to be fully mobile is the weight of the laptop. Even larger screens can provide a lighter product that is still portable.
- Work. For those that only want to use their laptop at work may need it to be mobile, if they would like to take the laptop home, but it can also be larger to be left at work. You can also sacrifice processing power and graphics if you are only focusing on basic documents.
- Multi-Tasker. When the user is prone to using many apps or windows at one time then the larger the screen the better.
- Hoarder. For the user that wants to have all of their movies, photos and music in one space they should focus on the largest hard drive they can find.
- Evolver. This is the user that isn’t clear how they will use the laptop in the future, so they want to try and cover all bases. Try to get a laptop that is relatively average in all aspects but one that can have RAM and more hard drive space added at a later stage.
- Detail-Focused. For the graphic designer or those that appreciate HD quality then you will need to opt for a laptop with high resolution and a great graphics card.
Top 3 Best Laptop Under $250 Reviews
This small all-round laptop looks good, has decent specifications, and is to be found under $200. what more can you wish for? With the efficient N4020 processor and DDR4 RAM it is able to run basic software without issues. One of the greatest things about this laptop is that it includes the software you need with Windows 10 Home in S Mode with One Year of Microsoft 365 Personal. Highly recommended!
- Efficient Intel Celeron N4020 Processor (4M Cache, up to 2.8 GHz)
- 11.6” HD (1366 x 768) Slim Display
- 64GB eMMC Flash Storage and 4GB DDR4 RAM
- Windows 10 in S Mode with One Year of Microsoft 365 Personal
- Slim and Portable: 0.7” thin and weighs only 2.2 lbs (battery included)
The Acer Chromebook is a great machine when you want the basics of a laptop without the high price that comes with other models. The build of this laptop is impressive considering what you can do with it.
The display is incredibly bright and the colors are vibrant. The sound is also impressive for such a small machine and the simplicity of the software that it has.
This is the best laptop under $250 because it starts up as quickly as a phone and gives you the ability to click and move around without any lag either. The snappy overall performance and the importance of the speed make this a perfect computer for everyday use.
- Chromebook runs on Chrome OS - an operating system by Google that is built for the way we live today. It comes with built-in virus protection, updates automatically, boots up in seconds and continues to stay fast over time. (Internet connection is required).
- All the Google apps you know and love come standard on every Chromebook, which means you can edit, download, and convert Microsoft Office files in Google Docs, Sheets and Slides.
- Get access to more than 2 million Android apps from Google Play to learn and do more.
- Chromebooks come with built-in storage for offline access to your most important files and an additional 100GB of Google Drive space to ensure that all of your files are backed up automatically.
- CB314-1H-C884 comes with 14” Full HD IPS Display, Intel Celeron N4000, 4GB LPDDR4 Memory, 64GB eMMC, Google Chrome and Up to 12. 5-hours Battery Life.
If you need basics like Word, Excel and Internet access then the Samsung Chromebook is all you will ever need and more. You will quickly find that this is your go-to machine for all daily tasks and processes.
You will immediately notice how quickly this system operates and how well it is built. Though this is not the best option for college students or business people that will need the laptop for more processes at one time, it is perfect for anyone else.
The compact size is something that you can definitely take advantage of too and something that makes this a great laptop to have in addition to other devices.
- JUST YOUR SIZE: Compact, light design with an 11.6-inch display and full-sized keyboard and trackpad
- MILITARY-GRADE DURABILITY: Samsung Chromebook 4 is made to handle bumps and drops
- ULTRA-FAST CONNECTIVITY: With a lightning-fast Gigabit Wi-Fi connection, stream videos or download massive files quickly
- ADVANCED SECURITY: Multiple layers of built-in virus protection ensure you always have the latest security protection
- POWER THROUGH THE DAY: 12.5 hours² of battery life, and a battery that quickly recharges over USB-C charger
- GOOGLE ASSISTANT ENABLED: Use your voice to make a request and Google Assistant will get it done
- Meets eight military-grade (MIL-STD-810G) standards including: transit drop, vibration, high temperature, temperature shocks, freezing, dust, humidity, low pressure. ²A Measured according to Google Scenario (Power Load Test) criteria. (Tested Product Specifications: Intel Celeron Processor N4000 / 4GB Memory / 32GB eMMC). Battery life may vary depending on network environment, usage patterns and other factors
Summary – Best Laptop under 250
We hope you liked our review of the best laptops under 250.00 currently available. Although there are some excellent alternatives, especially among the Chromebooks, our overall winner is the ASUS L210. We like the Asus as it is very well able to do all basic tasks like browsing and office tasks, comes with Windows 10 and Office 365 included and can be found online for under $200, which is quite amazing.
If you have any questions or suggestion, please let us know in the comments below!