Whether you are an undergrad starting your college career or a graduate getting into more detailed studies, you will need a new laptop for law school. Taking an old laptop comes with the risks of having it crash or losing notes when you need them most. Even if you love your old one, law school definitely justifies an upgrade too.
Considering how you will be using the laptop, where and for this specific kind of work can make choosing the best laptop for law school a serious challenge. Making the ideal choice is much easier when you are armed with the right information and specs.
Questions to Ask
- Will You Need to Bring It to Different Places Often? Law school requires a lot of writing and a lot of research. Chances are you will need to bring your laptop to and from class to take notes on a daily basis and to the library with you to complete your work. The laptop should be light enough that it is not a hassle to carry it around but it should also be large enough so that you can complete your work efficiently.
- How Much Are You Willing to Spend? The price point is really up to you. You can get an amazing laptop for a few hundred dollars or spend thousands. You should also consider that many financial aid packages would include a laptop allowance so you can borrow more money to spend on the model that you really want.
- Which Functions Will You Be Using the Most? You will definitely be typing and using he Internet often but you should also consider the application programs that your specific university will require you to use and then you can buy the best laptop for law school, knowing it is compatible.
Top 6 Laptops for Law School Comparison Table
|1. Apple MacBook Pro MGXA2LL/A 15-Inch Laptop with Retina Display||256 GB||$$$$||4.7|
|2. Samsung Chromebook 2 11.6 Inch Laptop||16 GB||$$||4.4|
|3. Lenovo - IdeaPad 100s 11.6" Laptop / Intel Atom Z3735F||32 GB||$||4.2|
|4. Acer Aspire E5-573G 15.6-Inch Gaming Laptop||8GB||$$||4.1|
|5. Dell Inspiron 15 i5558-5718SLV Signature Edition 15.6-Inch Laptop||8GB||$$$||4.0|
|6. Sony VAIO T Series SVT13124CXS 13.3-Inch Touch Ultrabook||32 GB||$$$||4.0|
Tips for Buying a Law School Laptop
- Check out Your University Recommendations. Many law schools will have their own hardware requirements and their own set of specs and necessary drives for you to be able to effectively participate in their program. For most law schools, this includes having 4GB of RAM and at least a 120GB hard drive capacity. Many will also tell students which document style they prefer and will require PDF reading software as well.
- Pre-Loaded Programs. Several laptops will come completely void of any programs or applications except the ones necessary for the computer to function or the ones that are directly supported by the maker. It is possible, however, to purchase a good laptop for law school that comes with the programs you needed pre-installed. This will save you money and time as you will not have to buy and complete the loading yourself.
- Warranty. This is extremely important when you are going to be using your laptop every day for homework and assignments as well as for tests in the classroom. Having the protection of a warranty for the time that you are in law school means that you will never find yourself without help when something goes wrong.
Top 3 Best Laptop for Law School Reviews
The Apple Macbook Pro is the latest and greatest from an amazing company. This laptop comes with the perfect screen size options and all of the Apple operating systems that you love.
This model is thinner than the Pro and only slightly heavier than the Air which means you will be getting the best of both worlds.
It is lightweight and it has all of the storage and the outside connectivity you could possibly need to get a lot of work done in writing and graphics for presentations.
The Samsung Chromebook is a great workhorse for those that just need to get a lot of work and research done without the high price of models that have fancier features.
The design and build quality of this model are both incredible. The laptop is light and easy to take everywhere without feeling like it is going to break.
The resolution and the display also deserve some recognition, as these are often the points where such a small laptop would fall down.
This Lenovo Ideapad comes with Windows 10 and a one-year warranty that make all of the high quality features of the laptop even more appealing.
This incredibly portable laptop has great battery life and can operate all of the functions that are essential to students and business people on-the-go.
This means you can type and watch videos and use the internet and all of the other features without getting slowed down by too many other things going on with the computer. Even though the best laptop for law school should generally have a little more RAM than this one has, it is still perfect for most of the work.