Many buyers that are into gaming don’t have the endless budget that companies seem to think that they do. That is why there are an increased number of gamers searching for the ideal laptop that will fit into the price range that they feel comfortable with.
This isn’t an easy balancing act and often causes buyers to end up with a laptop that is lacking in the qualities that they wanted for their gaming experience.
In this guide, we aim to provide all of the points that you will need to consider when you are looking for the best cheap gaming laptop for you and the top ten products available today.
Consider This Before Buying Cheap Gaming Laptop
Looking for a cheap gaming laptop shouldn’t differ wildly from a search for a more expensive model. Understanding the points of a laptop that enhance gameplay means that you will be able to focus your search and end up with a model that meets both your price and quality criteria.
Some of the points that you should look out for are the following:
- Screen Size. The majority of gamers believe that bigger is better. When it comes to cheaper laptops this can actually be a downfall as the graphics that come with it may not match up to the size of the screen. It is sometimes the case that, for pure aesthetics, smaller can actually be better.
It is also worth considering the portability of the laptop, the larger the screen the more difficult it is to move around. For some gamers, this is important but for those that won’t be moving the laptop too much it isn’t key to making the right purchase.
- Processor (CPU). For those that are new to buying a laptop then the CPU can be a confusing point to check on each model. Basically, Intel is the leading producer of processors right now and the later the generation the better.
For those looking for a cheap alternative the lowest most can go is a quad-core i5. This is the main point that you really can’t afford to spend less on.
- RAM. A general minimum for most modern games is around 8GB of RAM. Opting for a little bit more will get you ready for the inevitable developments in games but it is usually very simple to upgrade later on if you don’t have the cash right now.
- Drive. The question here is SSD or HDD. If possible you should opt for SSD, due to it offering you more space for the ever increasing size of games. Unlike regular computers, a laptop rarely offers more than one slot for a drive so it is best to start with the best that you can afford.
- Battery Life. This is only really important if you are considering gaming in some more remote locations. It is becoming more and more common for there to always be an outlet available, even when traveling by train or plane, so it is not as necessary to have incredible battery life. Even some of the biggest of the top cheap gaming laptop batteries will last around an hour of playing, when on the highest settings.
Top 10 Cheap Gaming Laptops Complete Chart
|Picture||Name||Screen Size||Price||Rating (1-5)|
|1. MSI GE62 APACHE-276 15.6" GAMING NOTEBOOK LAPTOP||15.6”||$$$$||4.3|
|2. Lenovo Z70 17.3-Inch Laptop||17.3”||$$$||4.1|
|3. Dell 15.6-Inch Gaming Laptop||15.6”||$$$||4.1|
|4. Acer Aspire E5-573G 15.6-Inch Gaming Laptop||15.6”||$$||4.1|
|5. ASUS Zenbook UX305UA 13.3-Inch Laptop||13.3”||$$$||4.1|
|6. ASUS ROG GL752VW-DH71 17.3-inch Gaming Laptop||17.3”||$$$$||4.0|
|7. HP Star Wars Special Edition 15-an050nr 15.6-Inch Laptop||15.6”||$||4.0|
|8. Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Series 15.6 Inch Laptop||15.6”||$$||3.8|
|9. ASUS X550ZA 15.6 Inch Laptop||15.6”||$||3.7|
|10. Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E555 15.6-inch Laptop Computer||15.6”||$||3.1|
The Sacrifice in Finding the Affordable Gaming Laptops
The key to being able to settle on the model of laptop that you want is to work out where you are willing to compromise and what you can sacrifice.
The only way that the model can be cheaper is if it has something less than a more expensive model but this doesn’t always mean it is negative. For many buyers, a cheaper laptop will come without a feature that they didn’t really care about anyway and one that they can definitely do without.
If you ask yourself a few questions about the use and needs of your playing you will be able to choose between the best budget gaming laptops. Consider the following:
- What Are the Sizes of the Games That You Are Looking to Play? This will determine the size drive that you opt for.
- Do You Want To “Future-Proof” Your Laptop? If so, then consider larger amounts of RAM.
- How Mobile Does the Laptop Need to Be? You may be able to sacrifice a bit on size.
- Will the Model Be Able to Deal with Heat? This is an additional point to consider. Gaming laptops will get very hot, if a product is especially thin then it will probably not be able to deal with the excessive heat and a cooling stand might be a necessity, which will cost you extra.
Top 5 Best Cheap Gaming Laptop Reviews
From the textured trackpad to the impressive specs, everything about the MSI GE62 APACHE-276 is designed for gaming. The settings on the laptop come ready for intense gaming and you will be able to get right into the action.
One added benefit is that is quite a light model for a gaming laptop but at the same time feels sturdy enough to last after a great deal of use.
In addition to the optimized specs the MSI GE62 APACHE-276 also has a great screen and the sound quality beats any the best cheap gaming laptop options of a similar price.
For one of the more affordable options on the market the Lenovo Z70 is ideal for a gamer that wants a great all-rounder. It has a fast processor, a decent graphics card and the right amount of RAM. It also comes with a terabyte of storage so you won’t need to worry about filling it up too soon.
One of the most noticeable aspects of this laptop is that it is larger than many models but is actually lighter. This build means that it is capable of staying cooler and keeps it quieter than many similar laptops.
An added bonus is that it is still relatively thin even though it comes with a DVD drive. It also has an anti-glare screen which adds to its flexibility of use.
It is the ease of setup and use that make the Dell Inspirion i7559-763BLK one of the best budget gaming laptops available right now. It will finish installing Windows when first started up and after installing a few of your favorite games you’ll see why this laptop is loved by so many buyers.
With 8GB of RAM and 256GB of drive space, this product is great for gamers that want power but don’t want to spend too much. Not only are the specs well equipped for gaming but the laptop has a sleek look overall.
The screen is clear and for the price is actually an amazing bargain. For those that need a high quality keyboard, this model comes with a full-size backlit one that is makes use of the laptop even easier.
This is the type of gaming laptop that really will fit into a range of budgets. Although it does come with a lot of great features it is not built for heavy gaming use.
That being said it has a quality CPU for the price and it will play the majority of games with reasonable performance. In addition to its specs, it comes with a good screen that will rarely glare whilst playing.
The overall build of the Acer Aspire is what makes it attractive to any gamer. It is strongly recommended for those on a tight budget but still want a quality laptop.
The ASUS Zenbook UX305UA is for the gamer that wants to be fully mobile whilst playing. This is one of the lightest laptops that also provides a decent gaming experience.
The display, RAM and drive all meet the basic needs of any gamer and the overall design of the Zenbook will meet the majority of tastes.
While this laptop is not specifically focused on gaming it does provide the all round quality that is necessary for playing but also will provide you with the best cheap gaming laptop for everyday use.